Welcome to the Writers’ Club page. Our club provides creative writing classes for children aged between 6-11 years. Due to Covid-19, our online sessions will be available on a weekly basis till the end of the year. The club’s objective is to encourage children to find their creative voices, giving them opportunities to develop their language and literacy skills whilst having fun. Interacting with children their own age (or varied ages depending on numbers) through Zoom meetings means they get an opportunity to sharing their ideas and ingenuity with like-minded creatives in a safe environment.
Here is what the Writer’s Club offers:
- Fun online and offline activities
- Weekly Zoom meetings for children to work face-to-face with their peers from their school or another local school (depending on numbers and location)
- Google classrooms for each school with updates, new activities and links posted weekly
- Interactive writing activities that encourage good grammar and punctuation
- Opportunities to enter external writing competitions
- Free copies of selected children’s ebooks from my collection, free activities, puzzles and pictures to print out, based on my books, and so much more!
Over the summer, we took advantage of the good weather and met in the park where each child sat on their own picnic mat at a safe, social distance. We had loads of fun studying the stars, creating cave creatures and following the myths and legends of Greek mythology. This month (September), we will be looking at the return to school life and our biggest fears. Sometimes writing about our fears helps us to process anxiety and fight the monsters growing inside us. We will also be looking at comic strips, poetry and preparing for the Nanowrimo competition in November. Further details on this will be available closer to the time.
Join us on our writing journey by filling in the form below. When making your booking, please include details of your child’s full name, age and any literacy issues that have been flagged so that I may tailor the lessons according to his/her/their ability. Please include which session you would prefer: Monday at 3.45pm to 4.25pm or Wednesday 4.00pm to 4.40pm.
I look forward to encouraging more creative minds at the Writers Club.